Take the Chill Off with a Cup of Glühwein!


Traveling in Europe during the fall can be quite a chilly adventure.  Leaving husbands at home last fall, my friend and I had a wonderful trip that took us from Prague to Paris!  On a chilly day in Prague we stopped for lunch and had to have some "hot wine" or Glühwein to warm us up!


Glühwein is quite popular and we saw advertised everywhere.  In Heidelberg, Germany it was advertised "to go"!


I have tried many recipes over the last year trying to recapture the wonderful aroma and flavor of my first cup of Glühwein.  Glühwein is a drink that can be made many ways and it is really a matter of taste.  I have made it using a Cabernet Sauvignon, a Merlot and a Zinfandel.  The Zinfandel seems to be the best choice for me...the deep fruity flavor is perfect combined with the other ingredients.

I used my friend, Cathy's (Wives with Knives) recipe and made just a few adjustments.

Glühwein
adapted from Wives with Knives

1 bottle Zinfandel
2 medium oranges, zested and juiced
1 lemon, zested and juiced
3 whole cloves
3-4 cinnamon sticks
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar, adjust to taste

Slowly hear the wine being careful to not bring it to a boil.  Remove the zest from the oranges and the lemon.  Add the citrus juices and zest to the wine along with the spices and sugar.  Simmer for five minutes and then let the mixture stand for an hour.

Strain the mixture and then reheat to serve.  Garnish the cup of Glühwein with a half slice of orange or a twist of lemon....and a cinnamon stick, just for fun!

PRINTABLE RECIPE

This is certain to warm you to your toes!


I am sharing at Foodie Friday hosted by Michael at Rattlebridge Farm.

Comments

  1. Very tasty I'm sure! Merry Christmas Kate-enjoy:@)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had glühwein while visiting the Christmas markets in Germany and Austria. It definitely takes the chill off and your version sounds terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks perfect for these chilly winter nights. I love how travel creates so many culinary memories and discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so good! I've made a very close version of this many times. My MIL was Swedish so it was Swedish---Glogg, with almonds and raisins soaking in it. Skål! And Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love Gluhwein. So glad to have your recipe. I always enjoy nutmeg in everything.
    Merry Christmas,
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made some really potent stuff a couple of years ago with zinfandel and chardonnay. As I recall, it was warming and really strong. I love that you can jump off an international flight and grab a cup o' warmth. Have a Happy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family and I lived for a time in Germany and you've brought back a delicious memory. Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun to travel with a friend.
    I would thoroughly enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts