Roasted Beet Salad with Horseradish Cream Dressing

I discovered roasted beets a few years ago...I am so sorry that I have only been able to enjoy them for a short period of time.  I guess I will need to make up for lost time!

At our gourmet group we had a wonderful salad featuring roasted beets with an amazing dressing....Horseradish Cream.....so good.


You are in for a treat with this salad. The creamy horseradish dressing was not overpowering and a great compliment to the sweet beets.  Be sure to use a hot horseradish or the dressing will be on the mild side...

The changes that we made to the salad made the flavors pop....the beets were tossed with a vinaigrette after baked and sliced.  The onion was pickled.

Roasted Beet Salad
with Horseradish Cream Dressing

Yield:  10 servings

6-8 beets, roasted, sliced, tossed with a vinaigrette
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons hot prepared horseradish
1 small sweet onion, sliced and pickled
1-2  heads boston lettuce 
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill

Preheat oven to 375° F.

Wash and trim beets, but do not peel.  Place on a large piece of foil and sprinkle with salt and pepper, and then fold up in a loose package sealing seams tightly.

Place foil package on a baking sheet and roast for 1 hour or until beets are tender.

Let cool, then peel and thinly slice the beets.  Toss the beets in a bit of vinaigrette then refrigerate until serving.

Whip the cream until thick but not stiff, fold in sour cream and horseradish. Season with salt and pepper.  Refrigerate until serving.

Slice the onion and pickle.  Refrigerate until serving.

To serve, divide lettuce among serving plates.  Then, 
add a layer of the pickled onion rings.

Top the salad with beet slices and drizzle with dressing.

Sprinkle dill on top.

Note:  There was not a particular vinaigrette that was used...just basic.  The onions can be pickled in whatever way you prefer.



Prepare yourself for a delicious burst of flavor!  

Comments

  1. My husband would love your salad. He's the beet eater in our family and I'm ashamed to admit I've never tried them... Perhaps I should get on the bandwagon.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of big flavors here! I'll bet this is great:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shut the front door! I know beets or a love em or hate em food but, I am lover and I think they go beautifully in salads-with a horseradish dressing well that makes it even better.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your horseradish cream sounds like a terrific dressing to serve with roasted beets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love roasted beets in salads and always love another version. And did I mention my love for horseradish. Making this one soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts