Baked Brie with Fresh Cranberry Balsamic Compote

Years ago, while visiting the Olympic Peninsula on vacation, we passed cranberry bogs.  A sea of cranberries, so to speak.  Shades of red as far as the eye could see.  I want to go back.  I want to take a tour.  I want to eat cranberries!

I have wonderful memories galore from that trip.   We rented a house on Quinault Lake, watched the little mouse sneak out and snatch peanuts, tried (there wasn't much of a picture) to watch the Dream Team play their first basketball game, hiked the old forest, saw a mountain lion, bought the most amazing prawns, went crabbing and caught extra large Dungeness crab, dug clams...never did we rest...but, boy, did we eat well!  So much fun.

After all of that cranberry bogs didn't excite the girls.  I am still intrigued and must visit again. I love cranberries.  I know, I have said it before.  I haven't changed my mind.  Each year I seem to add another cranberry "something" to my list of favorite things.  This year it is a new appetizer.

If you happen to have some fresh cranberries lingering in the refrigerator, tucked away in the freezer, or can still pick some up at the market,  you will want to make this wonderful appetizer.  What appealed to me was the idea of warm and melted brie coupled with tangy fresh cranberries...and then, the addition of balsamic vinegar to the cranberry compote, heaven.  I couldn't stop sampling the compote...mmmm.

I must give credit to the Goodie Godmother who shared the recipe on her blog....delicious, thank you, Mary.  You made my taste buds smile!


Baked Brie
with Fresh Balsamic Cranberry Compote
adapted from Goodie Godmother

1 round of Brie
Crackers or sliced and toasted baguette slices for serving

Compote
2 cups fresh whole cranberries, rinsed
1/2 cup water
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup good quality balsamic vinegar

Make the cranberry compote by simmering the fresh cranberries, water and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat.  Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries pop and the sugar has dissolved.

Add the balsamic vinegar and simmer an additional 5 minutes, stirring frequently.  Remove the pan from the heat and transfer to a glass bowl.  Use immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.

Preheat oven:  350° F.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Using a sharp knife, cut away the very top of the Brie's rind.  Place the wheel on the baking sheet, cut side up.  Top the wheel with 1/3 to 1/2 cup of the cranberry compote.  The amount is based on the size of the wheel and your preference.  Bake 12-15 minutes until the Brie is soft and melted.  Remove from the oven and transfer to a serving platter.

Serve immediately with crackers or toasted baguette slices and additional Fresh Balsamic Cranberry Compote, if desired.

NOTE:  The compote may be made up to three days in advance.

PRINTABLE RECIPE


I was really happy to find this snappy appetizer!  I am even more tickled that I have cranberries in the freezer so I am not limited to making this appy just during the holidays!  Yippee!

Comments

  1. Kate, Baked brie is a favorite appetizer at our wine tasting parties and that cranberry compote will kick it up another notch! Take Care, Big Daddy Dave

    ReplyDelete
  2. This really, really sounds good:@)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a great sounding appetizer.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts